Medicare Reimbursement FAQ’s

Q-When I turn 65 do I have to sign up for Medicare?

A– Yes everyone must sign up for Medicare once they turn 65 years old and Medicare will become your primary medical insurance.

Q-What happens when a retiree or active employee turns 65 years of age and gets sent this letter from SS. What is the member normally supposed do in this case?

A-The retiree needs to send the form via fax, email, or mail to BSC or call at 646-376-0123 to open a Service Request, for an Employment Information Form to enroll in Medicare Part B coverage to be completed.

Q-What typically happens next?

A-When the form is received from the retiree by the BSC, it will be forwarded to the benefits department and they will complete, then send the completed form to the retiree, and call the retiree to advise. If retiree opts to call, the Service Request will be escalated to our department and we will complete, send a completed from to retiree, and call the retiree to advise.

Q-How does theMedicare Part B Reimbursement work?

A-Medicare-eligible retirees and their Medicare-eligible dependents will be reimbursed annually for the standard Medicare Part B amount of $148.50 per month ($148.50 x 12 months = $1,782), excluding any penalties and late enrollment fees, and subject to be pro-rated. 

Q-Does my spouse get a Medicare Part B Reimbursement?

A-Yes for NYSHIP Transit Authority Retirees.

A-No for MaBSTOA Retirees.